Australian shoppers are looking for their favorite online products more than ever these days. In 2017, 4.6 million Australians shopped Amazon, and an impressive 6.7 million Australians visited Woolworths. Adding to that, by 2022, retail eCommerce sales in Australia are expected to top the $16 billion mark.
So, to say that now is a good time to start an Australian eCommerce shop is an understatement.
But what happens when you build your eCommerce shop, complete with beautiful web design and all the products you want to sell, but have no way to collect payments from customers?
Choosing the right Australian payment gateways for your online shop is not always easy. You want it to be recognisable so customers trust you, easy to use, and available for your growing Australian customer base. But you also want it to be able to handle international transactions too.
After all, your online shop is accessible by people from all over the world. The last thing you want is to lose out on sales opportunities because you don’t cater to a global customer base.
That’s why we’re here today to share with you the top Australian payment gateways so you can have all of this and more, and generate the most money possible.
Australian Payment Gateways
eWay is one of the longest standing payment gateways in Australian and services over 26,000 businesses. Connecting this gateway to your online store is a cinch since there are more than 250 shopping cart and software integrations. And of course, this includes WooCommerce.
Adding to this, your customers will trust handing over their personal and financial information thanks to eWay’s robust anti-fraud toolkit Beagle. Designed to protect sales and your customers, Beagle detects potentially fraudulent transactions and gives you the ability to monitor flagged payments, all in an effort to reduce chargebacks and losses – without losing customers in the process.
With eWay’s highly secure platform, you’ll also receive instant email notifications when something is off and have the chance to block high-risk countries.
Additional features include:
- Same day setup for approved merchants
- 24/7 support when you need it
- Full PCI-DSS compliance when processing credit cards
- Detailed merchant reports for better bookkeeping
- No sales throttling or slowing of sales
- Apple Pay and VISA Checkout wallet payments
Price: No contracts or setup fees. 1.5% + 25c per Visa, Mastercard, domestic, or international card.
2. Fat Zebra
Fat Zebra is an Australian payment gateway designed to help growing online businesses collect payments from customers with ease. It’s also an authorized third-party processor for all major Australian banks, which lends to its credibility as a reliable payment gateway.
With this payment gateway, you’ll get a hosted payment page built to match your brand at no extra cost to you, making checkout super simple for customers. Plus, you can set up multiple billing cycles if you run a subscription website.
Lastly, Fat Zebra is a Tier-1 PCI-DSS certified payment gateway, meaning they’ve passed a comprehensive yearly audit from PCI Consulting Australia. With this audit, they pass tests regarding physical security, the storage and transmission of credit card data, data security, and more.
Additional features include:
- Compatible with eCommerce platforms such as Magento, Drupal, and WooCommerce
- Own all your own data and get help transferring to another gateway if needed
- Access real-time analytics to monitor sales on your site
- 24 hour setup time once approved
- Accept MasterCard, VISA, JCB, and American Express
Price: No contracts or setup fees. Must contact sales team for individually pricing quotes.
Afterpay is a unique payment gateway that works well in Australia, despite some people saying it encourages consumer debt. After all, 25,000 online retailers have bought into the idea of this payment gateway.
Designed after the “buy now pay later” model that meets the demands of today’s online shoppers, this is how Afterpay works:
- You sign up with Afterpay so you can offer the payment gateway in your online shop
- Customers choose Afterpay to pay for their items, fill out a form, and receive approval
- Afterpay pays for your entire order up front so you can ship orders right away
- Customers pay for their items across 4 payment installments (2 weeks apart) using the credit or debit card of their choice
- If a customer pays on time, there are no additional fees (late payments accrue late fees)
The great thing about Afterpay is they assume all the risk for non-payments, which helps cut fraud and encourage retailers to use their services.
Additional features include:
- Seamless integrations with Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce, and BigCommerce
- PCI-DSS compliance
- Networking opportunities with industry leader and access to retailer events
- Comprehensive technical support
Price: 30c for each transaction, plus a commission of 4-6%. No added cost for customers.
4. Pin Payments
Pin Payments is another competitive Australian payment gateway that comes with everything you need (plus a little more) to collect payments from your online customers.
It accepts payments in many major and minor currencies, so you can offer localized pricing for international customers and grow your online business. Plus, there’s an intuitive dashboard that allows you to monitor payments and secure credit card information in a secure and PCI compliant way.
Pin Payments comes with plenty of different ways for collecting payments:
- Integrate seamlessly with eCommerce platforms like WooCommerce
- Send invoices to customers with links to your payment page
- Manually enter credit card information and finalize a sale
- Use your smartphone to collect payments in person
- Set up recurring payments and collect a steady income each month
Price: No lock-in contracts. Domestic cards cost 1.75% + 30c. International cards cost 2.9% + 30c.
And there you have it! The top 4 Australian payment gateways that you can use on your eCommerce shop to easily and effectively collect payments from customers.
If you find yourself in need of some help marketing your newly launched Australia online shop, be sure to get in touch with us here at Keen to Design. We can help you with content promotion, influencer engagement, social media ads, and even remarketing strategies to help you drive more customers to your online shop and secure you more sales.